PLEASE NOTE: COPYRIGHT / PROTECTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
As a reminder, course materials are protected intellectual property of the course creator(s)/presenter(s). Please help to protect the work and do not reproduce, distribute or share without consent.
COURSE TITLE: Documentation Changes Everything: Strategies to Enhance Reimbursement for Pediatric Rehabilitation Services
COURSE DATES: This course is available through May 31, 2021
Pediatric physical therapists often express frustration with documentation requirements and payment for rehabilitation services. This course examines the contemporary reimbursement climate, with a focus on utilization management. In this course, participants are exposed to utilization management procedures, including authorizations and rationales for the determination of medical necessity for pediatric rehabilitative care. Defensible documentation for pediatric physical therapy services over an entire episode of care is covered, including techniques for coding and billing to maximize payment. Participants have the opportunity to self-reflect on sample documentation based on case scenarios. Strategies for responding to denials for care are presented. Internal peer review and other mechanisms to strengthen documentation and improve reimbursement are explored. Billing for school-based services under Medicaid and considerations for telehealth are also included in the discussion. The content is aligned with the APTA Code of Ethics and Guide to Professional Conduct, APTA Defensible Documentation, the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services guidance, and current published evidence.
Upon completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- discuss common utilization management practices used in reimbursement for pediatric physical therapy services,
- appraise his/her current documentation practices for demonstration of medical necessity,
- craft documentation for an entire episode of care that reflects the medical necessity for skilled physical therapy services,
- discuss documentation requirements for telehealth service delivery,
- recognize the importance of professional commitment to current best practices in documentation, billing and reimbursement.
COURSE DESIGN: This course is designed so that participants may access the course materials and interactive forum asynchronously (at times that are convenient to his/her/their schedule) for the period of time that the course is open. The forum provides a space for course participants to engage with one another and the course instructors as they reflect on questions posed throughout the course.
- Module 1: Why We Document
- Module 2: Navigating the Middle – Documenting a Plan of Care
- Module 3: Peer Review Processes
- Module 4: Be The Change You Want To See
- SUPPLEMENTAL MODULE: Considerations for Telehealth
- Participants must complete all learning activities presented in this course; learning activities may include, but are not limited to viewing video recorded presentations, completing readings, posting to the interactive course forum as required, and completing the course post-test.
- Participants must achieve a minimum score of at least 70% on the course.
CONTACT HOURS: 5.0 Contact Hours (0.5 CEU)
REGISTRATION OPEN THROUGH: May 31, 2021
Dr. Wiley received a Bachelor’s of Science in Physical Therapy from Temple University, a post-professional Doctor of Physical Therapy degree from Drexel University and a Doctor of Health Science in Rehabilitation Science from Drexel University. She is an Assistant Professor at Shenandoah University and also works as a school based physical therapist. She has experience as a utilization reviewer and consultant for the insurance industry. Dr. Wiley has been an ABPTS Pediatric Certified Specialist since 1996 and has experience in a broad variety of inpatient and outpatient settings.
COURSE SYLLABUS: Documentation_2020-21_SYLLABUS (1)
In addition to this course, please visit COURSE CATALOG for the list of 2020 Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapy Self-Paced Course Bundle options. Enrollment options include single course enrollment OR multi-course enrollment.
Registration links for the 2020 APPT Course Bundle Series for individuals currently registered as Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapy Members.
Registration links for the 2020 APPT Course Bundle Series for individuals not currently registered as Academy of Pediatric Physical Therapy Members.